ID:18743

Keywords: gameinaday
24 hours to make a game. Are you up to the challenge? Join us and find out! Prizes too!

Rules

• The event will run from midnight BYOND Standard Time, Saturday 16 September 2006 to midnight BYOND Standard Time, Sunday 17 September 2006. In other words, all Saturday. See below for the time in your time zone.
  • This is not a competitive contest; scores will not be assigned. After the event, a panel of impartial judges will report on who managed to make a playable game in the time period, and decide which games (if any) deserve special congratulations and prizes. Graphics, glitzy stuff and general polish will not be the deciding factor here; diamonds in the rough will have just as good a chance as polished ones. (It is worth noting, though, that you won't have much time to polish.)
  • All code used in the entries must be written during the duration of the 24-hour period...
  • ... with one exception: You are allowed to use (unmodified) libraries from DM.Libraries.
  • Throughout the 24-hour period, and before and after it, participants are encouraged to discuss their projects and help each other in the event's official chat program. Iccusion Entertainment staff will be on hand to provide code help and resources.
  • You must actively participate in some fashion with other people in the contest. Basically, this means that you have to hang out in the official chat program for at least some of the time. This is a social event, not just a programming event! Helping each other out in the chatroom is highly encouraged. Remember, this is a challenge, not a competitive contest.
  • The game must be (loosely) based around or include something related to a word, which will be announced at the beginning of the challenge's 24-hour period. An example word might be "nightmares". This is intended to ensure that the game was written for the challenge.
  • You may not use copyrighted material (icons, music, etc.) without explicit permission. Note that this means fan games are excluded. You may make your own, but remember there's a time limit, so don't get carried away! We will be providing some free resources when the challenge starts.
  • Source code must be submitted, to prevent cheating (and so we can all get a good laugh out of each other's dodgy hastily-written code ;-))
  • Multiple entries are not allowed. Only one entry per person will be accepted, so make it a good one! You probably wouldn't have time for multiple entries anyway.
  • Teams are not allowed. Cooperating with other people is highly encouraged, but the end result must be mostly your own work.
  • Games must be packaged in a .zip file as source (use Build->Package Files in Dream Maker) and emailed to [email protected] before the deadline.
  • The games must be written in BYOND. You may make use of Javascript/Flash/etc. via the built-in browser if you wish, but the core game must be written in DM. For example, you may not make a Flash game and just load it in the browser window.
  • If in doubt about these rules, ask IainPeregrine or myself (Crispy). Our decisions are final, unless we contradict each other; but we'll try not to do that! :-)

What's that in real money my time zone?

United States, Pacific: Midnight Saturday to midnight Sunday (BYOND Standard Time / US Pacific time).

United States, Eastern: 3am Saturday to 3am Sunday (US Eastern time).

Britain: 7am Saturday to 7am Sunday (GMT).

Australia: 5pm Saturday to 5pm Sunday (Sydney time).

My time zone isn't listed!

Never fear, the Time Zone Converter is here! Choose to convert from September 16 2006, 00:00:00 (24-hour time) from US Pacific, to your time zone, and that will tell you what time the event starts. It will finish at the same time, but exactly one day later.

There's also a very handy BYOND Standard Time clock at http://developer.byond.com/. We'll be using it as our reference clock.

How strict is the deadline?

We will be accepting slightly late entries. You might get away with an hour if you're lucky, but don't push it or we will disqualify you!

You mentioned prizes...

We hope you're doing this for the fun of it, not for the prizes. :-)

But yes, there are prizes!

• In addition to providing code help and resources during the event, Iccusion Entertainment will be sponsoring the event by providing prizes at their discretion.
  • I'll be donating at least one BYOND Membership/Membership-extension, perhaps several, depending on how impressed I am with the quantity and quality of entries. Prize-winner(s) with existing BYOND Memberships can take it as an extension or give it to a non-Member of their choice.
  • Danial.Beta has also offered to contribute one BYOND Membership/Membership-extension. Thanks dude!
  • Vortezz has offered two BYOND Memberships. Way to go!
  • Digital Samurai has also put up two Memberships! It's a BYOND Members bonanza!
  • Ben G has offered one BYOND Membership/Membership extension to a game of his choice, on the condition that, quote, "any of the games manage to impress me". Fair enough!
  • digitalmouse has kindly offered one free 6-month BYOND game hosting account on digitalBYOND (good deal!)
  • A late addition from Anzu (key: Devin148) - Anzu has offered the prize winner's choice of one BYOND Membership, or $15 via Paypal.
  • More prize donations will be gladly accepted.

Thanks to Iccusion Entertainment for supporting this event!

Iccusion Entertainment logo

Want to discuss the contest? Comment here, or check out the forum!
Neato.
Now I'm not going to sleep on saturday. <_<

Ah well. I don't need sleep anyway!
I'll offer a subscription into the mix. I really think this will be fun. This will be a little rough because of the midnight to midnight time frame, but I will get it. I will definitely take part in the developing action.
I'm totally going to enter. I might even use GIMP or Graphics Gale.
You're now a moderator on the event's forum, Crispy. ;)
Glad to hear it!

Danial.Beta wrote:
I'll offer a subscription into the mix.

Thanks! You mean a BYOND Membership, right? Are you okay with the same extensions/giving it to a non-Member stuff that I'll be allowing for my Membership donation(s)?
You're now a moderator on the event's forum, Crispy. ;)

Thank you kindly. =)
Yeah, membership. Heh, bad wording by me. As for the rest of the post... Huh? If you are asking, I don't have a problem with you distributing it how you see fit. I just want to encourage participation, I really don't care who ends up with the Membership/Extension, as long as they participated.
I mean this bit:

"Prize-winner(s) with existing BYOND Memberships can take it as an extension or give it to a non-Member of their choice."
Heh, I have to stay up untill 3am, and than stay up 24 more hours!??!?

Count me in!
You don't have to be awake for all 24 hours if you don't want to. :-)
Oh, I want to.
I don't have a problem with how the receiver wants to distribute the awarded membership. As far as I am concerned, I am giving it to them, they can give it to someone else(well, technically I have to give it to someone else for them, but meh).
Okay, great. I'll edit the blog post, and thanks again.
I will donate two memberships!

Just so long as I can figure out money orders, so uh. Yeah. :)
Sleep is for the weak!

digitalmouse has kindly offered one free 6-month BYOND game hosting account on digitalBYOND
Would be nice but i don't have a game to host Hmmm
Money orders aren't hard. :-) Thanks for the offer!

That makes a minimum of 4 BYOND Memberships up for grabs so far; more than that if I'm impressed with the entries, and that's not even counting Iccusion's and digi's prizes. That's pretty darn good!
Let's see here...

I work Friday night from 6PM to 6AM Saturday morning... Then I work Saturday night from 6PM to 6AM Sunday...

So, this gives me 12 hours during the window that I'll be home... Minus a few hours to sleep (usually 6 or 7, sometimes as little as 5)

So I'll end up with about 5-7 hours to work on this...lol And I know that some of that will be taken up with errands and such...

I'm in, though...
"# The games must be written in BYOND. You may make use of Javascript/Flash/etc. via the built-in browser if you wish, but the core game must be written in DM. For example, you may not make a Flash game and just load it in the browser window."

Hahah

I am going to participate in this!
Page: 1 2 3 4