Read before Applying for Services
This is a thank you message to SS4toby who helped me create this shell server utility. I was stuck on a few parts and he donated the sources which we worked on together to make this here. Thanks.
BYOND Version: v510.1345 (STABLE)
Operating System: Debian 7 Wheezy 64-bit
Processor: 3.1GHz Dual-Core
Memory: 2GB RAM
Network: 100Mbits/s(12.5MB/s) download & 100Mbits/s(12.5MB/s) upload
Terms of Services
By using this service/program, you agree to the following -
- Administrators and Moderators, as listed in the Players tab when they log in, reserve the right to shutdown, start up, restart, delete, and modify your file paths and/or files at will.
- All payments are final and refunds will be given in the form of credits per the refund formula presented within the program itself that distributes credits back to you based on how many days you have left.
- You are aware that your hosting permissions may be revoked at any given time.
- You agree to not abuse the program in any way.
- You understand that you can be banned at any time without the option of a refund.
- You agree that nobody besides yourself is held responsible for any loss or damage of data and/or loved ones in the usage of this program.
- You agree that you have common sense and that Terms of Services are just a way to make sure you don't claim that you don't have common sense.
- You understand that this ToS is getting more "trollish" as it goes on.
What Shell Server is:
Shell Server could best be described as a BYOND utility. Through this "utility" individuals have the ability to upload, start, and shutdown servers. In essence, it's a sort of hosting service.
How many servers can I have if I don't pay?:
Admins and moderators will appoint you 1 server to start up if you are a free user. No guest keys are allowed.
How do I donate or subscribe/buy credits?:
You can do so by clicking the donate or subscribe verb in the commands tab or visit here to purchase credits and here to donate.
Getting a Server:
It's as easy as visiting here. Once you have purchased a server, visit the hub and join a server of your choice and navigate to Controls > Purchase Subscription. Choose wisely as this will be the server you will have for the time being, unless you propose a refund and switch servers.
If you have any questions as to whether this is a legit service, you can easily join the servers presented in the hub and ask anyone of the customers in the servers tab who has "Subscriber" next to their name. However, do not pester them please.
Even after you pay for a server, there are still some rules.
- Any uploaded files that break any U.S. Laws is against the rules.
- Games that hog any resources are prohibited. (This means CPU and RAM to the point that other games are effected.)
To apply for a free server you will be required to have a key and log on to any server at http://byond.com/games/Xirre/ShellServer.
Once logged in, follow these steps to submit an application and to make sure it is approved.
Before you follow these steps, be sure to note that the following games are no longer accepted:
RP Unlimited -- We have enough hosts for this game.
SS13 -- The file management isn't something I am very fond of for this game.
Anime, Cartoons, TV Shows, etc -- This includes, but is not limited to; Naruto, Digimon, Pokemon, Dragonball, and Bleach.
RIPs -- We don't support any stolen material. The only way you're allowed to host a game that someone else has owned is if you gained strict permission from them that you are allowed to host and develop this game.
While this is not disallowed, games that have not been updated for 6 months or more have a high potentiality to be declined. It will only be accepted if it is viewed as a game that can still survive. We are mainly looking for games that are being updated still or can still be updated.
Shell Server's free program is centered around improving the BYOND community's diversity in games. If a game is already hosted, it will, most likely, be declined. If a game has not been updated in forever and you are not the owner, it will most likely be declined. If a hub was just recently created and has no contently, it will most likely be declined. If an application lacks professionalism, it will most likely be declined.
- 1. Click the Controls tab.
- 2. Click the "Request Services" verb.
- 3. Fill out the form. (Read the bullets in #3 for details on how to fill them out)
- "Game Name" should be the name of the game itself and nothing more.
- "Hub Link" should be the link to the hub. If you don't have one, make one, please. It's free and everyone has requested that it be free. So, take advantage of your privileges. An example as to how a hub link looks is above the input box.
- "Game Description" should tell me what your game is actually about. IN DETAIL. Grammar is important when describing as well. You're applying for something. So, make it look nice. :)
- Click the "Submit" button.
- You may log off or stay online. Either way your application will be reviewed. If you choose to log off, the next time you log on your application's status will be displayed (if it was reviewed). You will either receive a declination letter with a reason as to why it was declined or you will receive an acceptance letter with details on what kind of server you have.
Managing your Server:
Uploading your files:
Once you have permission to host, click the controls tab and follow the bullets below:
- Click Manage Files
- Click Upload
- Option 1:
- Upload your .dmb file (looks like a TV with a red atom in it)
- Upload your .rsc file IF you have one (Just looks like a white blank paper)
- Option 2:
- Upload a .zip file (.sav, .txt, .dmb, .rsc, and non file-types are ALWAYS accepted. Any other type must be requested.)
- Open your folder by double clicking it. You can move them to a different directory by right clicking them. This can help you organize things.
- Find your .dmb file.
- Right click the .dmb file and click Start Server.
- If you don't know what "threads" does, either read up on it or turn it off. Other than that, fill out the port and every other option and your server will be online!
Shutting down and Restarting your Server:
In the servers tab, locate your game. Now, right click your game and click shutdown or restart.
Updating your game:
Like before, upload your files. Upload your .dmb always. However, you don't need to always upload your .rsc file. You can choose not to upload it until you change your skins, map, icons, icon_states in a .dm file, etc. Things that pertain to images.Or until you see that the "Modified Date" has changed.
Once you have uploaded your files, just restart your server. No need to shutdown. This makes it easier on the server and also allows your game to start up a little faster if it has dynamic maps.
Sharing your hosting and using other's:
In the controls tab are two verbs; Share Hosting and Switch Users.
Share Hosting allows you either select or type in a user's key to add them to your sharing list. You can also remove them by clicking "Remove."
Switch Users is what people will use to access a server they have been allowed in to. They just need to click it and find your key. Once they switch users they can operate the verbs like you normally do.
Downloading your files:
Just right click anything and click download. Want to download multiple files? Put them in a folder. It'll auto-zip it for you.
Getting disconnected when uploading your files?
There has been an issue when some people get kicked off because their files are too big and their internet is slow. If this is the problem, zip your files and then upload them. This should solve the issue. Even if it's 1 file.