In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Heh, finally Micosoft has competition.

Microsoft has always had competition. Apple's OS may not provide strong competition to the Windows systems... but look at the other battles:

- iPod boosted the popularity of iTunes. Microsoft's .wma files have been totally blown away.

- MSN Messenger pales in comparison to AIM, probably ICQ, and surely in a week/month, Google Talk. [EDIT]Okay, not ICQ, but you get the idea[/EDIT]

- Microsoft's browser, after being exploited in so many ways, has been increasingly losing popularity to the Firefox and Opera alternatives.

That's about all that comes to mind immediately, but I'm sure there's more.

Hiead
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Google is making an operating system

That's news to me! What will it be called? 'GOS' / 'gOS'... 'The Yellow OS'? Heh.

and no Microsoft wouldn't be able to buy them out, Google already said it would outright refuse.

That's not news to me. No way google would need any money...unless suddenly the world keels and Google bankrupts. It's a good thing. It means that Microsoft can't hinder Google's creativity, innovation, and development, and they can't control funding for new ideas.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Uhh, could you provide an example of how MSN Messanger isn't as good as other IM programs? I prefer it to most.
In response to Artekia
Artekia wrote:
Uhh, could you provide an example of how MSN Messanger isn't as good as other IM programs? I prefer it to most.

Example: Number of users. Last I read, in a July report, AIM had about twice as many users. I'm sure with Google's accountability, trustworthiness, and numerous loyal users, Google Talk will eventually grow past AIM's user count. Especially now that people in the U.S. can join Gmail without an invite.

Hiead
Smoko wrote:
Interesting is all I can say...

And all I can say is disappointing. Google Talk is a sorry excuse for an IM service.
In response to DeathAwaitsU
DeathAwaitsU wrote:
And all I can say is disappointing. Google Talk is a sorry excuse for an IM service.

I much prefer it to AIM, MSN Messenger, and especially ICQ.

Though it might take a while for all of my AIM "buddies" to make the switch, it certainly is a nice IM service. At least it doesn't open up some webpage (sometimes even a mini-video ad). And free calling...might be useful when I get a mic.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Yea, i would say MSN is better then AIM, However because it is microsoft, people don't use it :P.
In response to Crispy
I'll give it a try, [email protected]
In response to Nadrew
What the "fuxx0rz"! I can't sign up.... It asks me for a cell phone number and mine is taken away till progress reports. :'(
In response to Cheetoz
I'll invite you. e-mail me at [email protected]

Hiead
In response to DeathAwaitsU
Why? Because it removes all the useless crap put into IMs these days? Back in my day, we didn't have fancy colored messages, or even multiple fonts, and we loved it. Why? Because it was an instant messanger, not an instant pesterer. Who needs some stupid icon that takes up 1/4 as much as the rest of the window. Who needs Light blue fonts with light green backgrounds? Who needs ads apon ads? Well, I am one who doesn't. All this crap they try to add in is just not worth it. GoogleTalk takes 3-11MB, depending on some system stuff that I cant put my finger on. AIM takes, normaly, 20. Now, you say "Why do I care about 9-17MB of ram? Well, if every program you use runs an extra 13MB of ram, well, I would be using 100s more. Ok, not a big deal on the grand scale of things.

The interface is CLEAN! That is the best part about it. Chat windows have a sticky note feeling, and are very easy to use and understand. The call feature is, if nothing else, interesting. It takes VoIP and mixes it with the idea of a real phone, with a ring and everything.

The one thing I see that it is missing, file transfer. Although, if you are using GMail, unless you have a rather large file, you can just email it to them. I would like to see a P2P file trading system, much like AIM. This would keep the load off the servers, and still allow for high transfer speeds. I suppose that is probably on the "To do list". I would rather them take thier time and do it right, rather than push it out and do a bad/buggy/easy to hack job.
Page: 1 2