ID:2669504

Is this language still good to program with, or am I better off learning a new language?
It's in good shape and actively gets updates. A byond community member recently got their game onto steam. This may be the best time to hop into DM if you ask me. And also, the majority of programming languages have the same basic rules, just different tools with different levels of complexity. Something like unity and c# language sounds good but for a beginner DM is a good resource to learn the basic rules of code.
Is this language still good to program with, or am I better off learning a new language?

Yes.
One thing that I can attest to is that the development community in BYOND is a lot more mature than it was back in the 2010-12 hay-day. Lummox is very attentive to the software and is a lot more open about the engine than his predecessors were. He and a lot of other senior community members are very active and helpful, not to mention with the new stuff introduced in 514 it's easier than ever to make a modern looking game and be able to distribute it easier off-site.
Great language, the best, I would know.
Thank you! I wasnít sure, itís been awhile since Iíve really been active but I had the urge to create a small action morpg and wasnít sure if this engine was still good to work with! Thanks again for all your replies!
In response to KuroChi
KuroChi wrote:
This may be the best time to hop into DM if you ask me.

Eh, the mid 2000s when you could randomly host a game you were working on and have a trickle of randos coming in to check it out was probably the golden era for me.

Obviously DM has improved greatly since then, and the ability to distribute games off site is infinitely better, but I miss that era :(
I would not firmly answer "yes" or "no" to the question, though I guess I'd slightly lean to "no" for most developers. BYOND as an engine is miles better than it was in previous years but it suffers from many issues with inconsistent syntax and unintuitive feature designs. It can do a lot more than some people think, but is limited in strange and sometimes frustrating ways.

The main issue is really just that building a playerbase is nigh impossible for a new project. The hub and pager are in dire straits and people don't really browse BYOND itself to find new games anymore, instead the new projects that do arise just siphon players off from adjacent projects (anime fangames, SS13 servers). Techgamer is spot on when he says that there's no trickle of randos these days.

You can distribute games off-site but it's very clunky, you need to get explicit permission and access to the tools that allow you to do it, and even though it's possible nobody's actually made a game that has actually built a playerbase from this. This may not entirely be BYOND's fault, the demand for the kinds of games BYOND can create is drastically lower than it was in 2007.

BYOND is also still limited purely by the way its networking actually functions- which is that everything is processed on the server. Latency will always feel rather severe when it's present and negatively impact how well a project plays. Lots of devs on BYOND still deny this despite it being a regular complaint for over a decade, it's not something that's fixable unless we got the ability to run more code on the client side (to at least do basic things like rubberbanding). The recent missed tick bugfix and upcoming glide fixes might make this all feel a bit better, though.

I'd say it really all depends on what your project is and the concessions you're willing to make. There are downsides even when using something like Unity or Unreal.
The peoples republic of china wrote:
Techgamer is spot on when he says that there's no trickle of randos these days.

I always found it ironic that when I was a young teenager making crappy games, I had no shortage of people coming in to take a peek and play my horrifically unfinished games with maybe 10 minutes of actual content, but around 2015 when I decided to make a game after a long break, finding people to consistently test was like pulling teeth.

Unfortunately it's really hard to convince offsite people to make a byond account to try a game, and that's what killed my motivation and why I'm mostly working with unity when I'm tooling around with prototypes despite the fact that byond is waaaaay easier to spool up a proof of concept for a game idea.

I like the direction I'm seeing with allowing standalone publishing, but making it invite-only is... not great imo.